VAT & MTD
2019-02-26
Good afternoon,

After many happy years producing my VAT returns using Excel I am required to turn my attention to re-establishing my Hansa VAT report in readiness for VAT and MTD.

I have got what looks like a reasonable report with the right sort of numbers in the right sort of places, so that's good. However I have a few detailed questions:

1)    The VAT Outputs and Inputs do not agree with the nominal ledger by a small amount which I can prove is due to a change in a prior period. Having attended the presentation of Hansa in Richmond recently I cannot believe we just overtype the numbers generated by the report before it is submitted directly to HMRC. This is contrary to the whole ethos of MTD. Does anybody know what Hansa intend to do in this respect before the final roll out.

2)    I have been able to agree the Output Tax, Input Tax and Net Sales shown on the VAT Report to the VAT listing report however I have a difference between the Net Purchases in the VAT report and the VAT listing. In order to understand the difference I need a detailed report that supports the Net Purchases declared on the VAT Report and then I can investigate and resolve the differences as I obviously need a detailed report that supports the return submitted in order to comply with VAT regulations. Can anybody direct me to a detailed report that would support the net purchases in the VAT report (but not the VAT listing as it doesn’t).

Thank you for your help.

Gary Taylor
Paul Timms
2019-02-27
Hi Gary

1. There is a new feature in 8.5 which allows the VAT Date to be entered onto purchase invoices. This will allow prior period VAT to be correctly reported on.

2. The VAT report picks up the details from the nominal ledger transactions only, so if there are any journals to the VAT inputs account, they would cause a difference. Similarly, an update mark to a transaction created from a purchase invoice could also cause a difference. Finding the difference would involve going through the purchase invoices and matching up the VAT amount to the VAT on the transactions. I don't think a report is available which does this, but such a report would be quite useful I think.

Regards

Paul
2019-02-27
Created byPaul Timms12:37 27 Feb 2019
Hi Gary 1. There is a new feature in 8.5 which allows the VAT Date to be entered onto purchase invoices. This will allow prior period VAT to be correctly reported on. 2. The VAT report picks up the details from the nominal ledger transactions only, so i
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the response.

1)Good to hear that this is incorporated in 8.5

2)I believe it is a legal requirement for the tax payer to maintain records that support the returned values see VAT Notice 700 para 19.2 and VAT Notice 700/21. The VAT Outputs and Inputs are fine as the Hansa records that support the numbers declared are driven directly by the two nominal accounts and it seems the VAT listing supports the net value of sales, it is the net value of purchases where we seem to have a problem.

Without a definitive list of transactions that support the net value of purchases then on a compliance review the HMRC officer would not be able to confirm which purchase invoices have been included and which have not. Without information to explain what is incorporated in net purchases then HMRC could issue an assessment based on the industry average of VAT recovery based on the declared purchases. On every VAT compliance visit I have attended I have had to explain why the VAT on Sales is not 20% of the net sales declared and without a detailed report I would not have been able to do so. It is therefore entirely likely that HMRC could ask for the same explanation where the VAT on purchases as a % of net purchases declared is inconsistent with the industry average. Without the detailed report to explain any deviation we could face an unwarranted tax liability and possibly penalties.

I really think this should be a standard report available within Hansa, otherwise the software just does not comply with the legislative requirements.

Thank you.

Gary
Paul Timms
2019-03-01
Hi Gary

Does the Nominal Ledger report for the VAT Inputs account agree with the figure on the VAT report?

Regards

Paul
2019-03-04
Created byPaul Timms16:39 1 Mar 2019
Hi Gary Does the Nominal Ledger report for the VAT Inputs account agree with the figure on the VAT report? Regards Paul
Hi Paul,

The nominal report for VAT Inputs in the discrete quarter agrees perfectly to the VAT return. There is a small prior period entry that means the closing balance does not but hopefully with the changes you mentioned in the previous reply where invoices will be electronically date stamped when they are submitted this will become easy to track down.

My problem is with the Net Inputs (Box 6 on the VAT return) where there is no report to support the numbers presented in the return. It seems I am lucky that the Net Outputs (Box 7 on the VAT return) is fully supported by the VAT listing but I could imagine there are Hansa users where this may not be the case. I guess if Hansa are looking at a report to support the Net Inputs then they may as well do Net Outputs as well!

Kind regards.

Gary
Paul Timms
2019-03-15
Hi Gary

Have you tried ticking "List Transaction Numbers" to see if something's included or missing compared to the VAT Listing?

Also, I'm slightly confused as box 6 should be outputs and box 7 should be inputs. Which one is not matching?

Maybe we need to look at your data to see if we can find the reason.

Regards

Paul
This thread has been closed for further comments. Please create a new thread
Back to the list
Latest Posts
Agnieszka Klimkiewicz
Hello / Witam It looks that you have old app database and sub files still installed. If you want ...
07:53 12 Apr 2024
Monica Amado
Bom dia, Sónia, Por favor efetuar o download e importe o ficheiro em anexo através de: Siste...
11:48 26 Feb 2024
You can subscribe to notifications for any post in this forum by selecting the 'star' icon on the top right corner of the topics list. You have to log in to use this functionality.